Kesteven & Grantham Girls' (High) School opened on September 20th 1910 to 102 students, under the care of five full-time staff led by Miss H Gladys Williams, M.A. It was officially opened on January 10th 1911 by The Right Hon. The Earl Brownlow, Lord Lieutenant of Lincolnshire and Mayor of Grantham.
The building was considered to be thoroughly up-to-date and situated in "a fine healthy spot" on land purchased from the Earl of Harrowby for the purpose. The school was centred around Old Hall (as it is now known), 教室就在图书馆的边上, 员工室和办公室现在都设在这里. 一楼有一间艺术工作室, a Chemistry laboratory and a multi-purpose laboratory meeting the needs of 植物学 and Cookery whilst doubling as the dining room.
最初的课程包括拉丁语, 植物学, 画, 唱歌, 缝纫和制衣, 以及英语的预期变化, 数学, 化学和人文学科. 从一开始, Miss Williams encouraged girls to partake in extra-curricular activities to broaden their minds, focusing on the development of the girls as adults and not solely on their academic progress. 在1924年的一次演讲中，威廉姆斯说 "it is nothing less than the complete human being herself that is the concern of the schools. It is not our business to turn out teachers or typists or even housewives, but to try to send out girls capable and desirous of doing some art of the world's work well, and capable also of living and enjoying a personal life that is well worthwhile."
第一次世界大战期间, girls raised money for wool and undertook to knit socks, 手套和头套在前面. The Barracks across the road was used as a Red Cross Hospital for convalescent troops and girls were encouraged to visit. Vegetables were grown on school grounds to help cope with food shortages and after school activities were slowly curtailed as gas restrictions took effect.
In 1919, the adjacent Victorian mansion was put on the market by the Cafferata family and the 州长 purchased it as a boarding residence for girls who lived a distance away. Harrowby House is now the home of the 六年级 in school and retains its original character throughout.
Miss Williams retired at Easter in 1939 after three decades of service to the school. Miss Dorothy J C Gillies MA (Edinburgh) succeeded her as Headmistress in an uneasy atmosphere of war preparation.
1939年9月战争爆发, the school was immediately put under pressure as students of The Camden School for Girls (North London Collegiate) were evacuated to the area. 为了处理数字, a double shift system was implemented: KG girls attended in the morning and the Camden girls, known as the 'Green Girls' because of their uniform, 下午参加. Air raid shelters and brick anti-blast walls were erected and trenches were dug, and from 1940 onwards bombs began to fall in the local area, 目标是当地的制造业和机场. 幸运的是, the school buildings remained undamaged with bombs never falling closer than half a mile, but the increase in enemy action resulted in the Camden girls relocating in Easter 1941.
在这段时间, 玛格丽特·罗伯茨靠奖学金入学, becoming the Head Girl for the academic year 1942/3 before departing to Oxford University to read Chemistry at Somerville College. She was later to be known by her married name: Margaret Thatcher, 英国第一位女首相.
By 1954, attendance was up to 432 and the space available was (as it had been for some years) insufficient to needs. A new North Wing was built comprising the hall now known as the Gym and the 人文学科 block.
In 1965, Miss Gillies retired after 26 years of headship and was succeeded by Miss Nancie Pannell BSc (London), who instigated the system of co-operation with Kings' School that persists to this day, with lessons at 六年级 shared across the two sites.
A major expansion to the site took place in 1986 with the opening of Roberts Hall, 以阿尔夫·罗伯茨的名字命名, 前校长撒切尔夫人的父亲. Mr Roberts had been Chair of 州长 for 26 years, 在董事会工作了39年, and was as staunch a supporter as the school could ever have hoped for.
Behind Roberts Hall an additional building was constructed that now houses 科学. Additional extensions to this 科学 building now form the 科学 & Technology block; while at the North side of school, the 英语 and 现代外语 faculties were also able to relocate into new, 现代建筑. 2003年增加了一个专门建造的体育馆, and most recently we have opened our new 有创意的 and 富有表现力的艺术 Block in 2014.
From our original intake of 102 in 1910 we now educate nearly 1200 girls, with a six form intake and a 六年级 of over 300. The majority of our girls proceed to higher education, often into highly competitive fields such as medicine and law or to such esteemed establishments as Oxford and Cambridge.
If anything remains consistent throughout our history, 然而, it is not only our academic excellence; it is our belief, 1910年由威廉姆斯小姐传下来的, that our chief concern is the care and cultivation of confident, 丰满快乐的年轻女性, 准备生活，渴望挑战.
Much of the above is based on the work of Mrs Old, 1952-1978年担任云顶集团游戏app英语教师, 在她的书中 The History of 云顶集团网站app下载 1910-1987. A copy is available to read in our school library, or for 在这里下载 (12.6 mb PDF).